At this time of year the Ibizan inbox is full to overflowing of new party promotions; inevitably it is the parties offering something a little bit special that catch our eye, something a bit left-field; Cue Cixada.
Let’s get our local readers’ attention from the outset. A free drink is offered for residents and workers tonight Wednesday 22nd May between 6.30 and 9pm for the Cixada soft opening. You will also be able to collect your discount code for the weekly parties to follow.
Free stuff, brilliant. We said it was a bit different, but it is the concept itself that caught our attention. This from their own press, “Cixada aims to bring an authentic and affordable sunset experience to San Antonio, combining amazing food and cocktails with tribal drumming, beautiful piano playing, soulful saxophone melodies and a carefully curated DJ set.”
Now we come to think of it, why hasn’t anybody thought of tribal drumming for a sunset party outside of Benirras before? There are bound to be purists who bang on about the Benirras experience being more than just the drums and we wouldn’t disagree. But let’s face it, Benirras has become a bit of a victim of its own popularity. The area is increasingly difficult to access and the human pressure is taking the beach to breaking point. There will be no shortage of tourists who will be quite happy to forgo the carnage of getting to Benirras in favour of a more civilised session sipping cocktails to the same beats on the San An Paseo.
Anyway, I shouldn’t bang on about the drumming too much (sorry about that) as it is only one part of what looks a great sunset concept.
The warm up
- Traditional spanish canapés.
- Two champagne/cava cocktails.
- Cixada acoustic (grand piano, saxophone, congas) playing chilled out covers of big sax house tracks e.g. jubel, man with the red face.
- Three course meal (starter, main, desert).
- Half a bottle of sangria, champagne sangria, white wine, red wine or rose wine.
- Guest dj playing melodic deep house and disco house vibes.
- Prime beach bar location for ibiza sunset.
- Dj badcat playing a melodic deep house sunset session.
- Free shot of hierbas (traditional ibiza spirit).
- Exclusive entry to the vip tables in the area behind dj booth.
- Meet and greet with dj and headline musicians.
- Cixada trio headline set (dj &electronic percussion, saxophone, keytar) playing a mashup of piano house classics, saxophone house and groovy tribal tech house.
Tickets cost 89€ to 99€ (minus worker or resident discount)
Cixada is the brainchild of Ibiza residents James and Nina Hughes, who hope they have the recipe right to attract visitors from across the island.
James says “Living on the island has opened our eyes up to the amazing culture Ibiza has to offer and we want to draw from it all, whether that’s the spiritual drumming from Benniras, the live music at the weekly San Juan Market or the deep routed, world famous House music scene.”
“Cixada is all about trying to capture the spirit of the island and to create a social gathering every Wednesday for like-minded people, be it couples, groups, friends, families or music lovers, who want to share a beautiful sunset moment and to dance together under the stars.”
The party runs for 17 weeks from the 22nd of May. The official opening party is the 5th of June.
Find Bay Bar on the San An s’Arenal Beach Promenade, 200m the San Antonio side of Ocean Beach Club