XIII Fiesta de Cartagineses y Romanos
- Rhian King
“Romans vs Carthaginians in Tomato Fight XIII; It’s Time to Settle Some Old Sauce”
It’s the big tomato fight on the 2nd September. An eagerly awaited event that takes place on the s’Arenal beach in San Antonio – and is now in its 13th year.
And you thought Saturday fight nights couldn’t get any better …
But before you get too excited, let’s see what’s happening in the build-up.
Do You Know Your History?
Read our beginner’s guide to the ‘Eternal War’ between the Romans and Carthaginians, and Ibiza’s place within it.
Friday 1st September
- 6pm – Kids water party with frolics and fun from showsibiza.com (they can’t compete in the actual event so here is their own special one)
- 7pm – Mini disco, games, and family entertainment for the whole family
- 9pm – inauguration of the fiesta
- 10pm – ‘Tomate Flower’ it’s a party! with music from the 60’s, 70’s & 80’s with The Selectors DJ’s.
Saturday 2nd September, The Grand Battle
- 6pm – The meeting of the factions – The Cartagineses at the town hall and the Romanos in the Edificio El Ruedo car park.
- 6.30pm – The exit of the troops to ‘the battlefield’
- 7.30pm – The factions take their positions in the forthcoming battle (it will get messy)
- 8pm – The battle commences – this is the part of throwing tomatoes and having tomatoes thrown at you. Children are not permitted to join in for safety reasons (trust us, it’s safer this way).
- 9pm – A toast of brotherhood and the unity that binds us
The battle may be over but the party is just starting …
- 10pm – Live Music with Dr Trapero – enjoy rumba, rock, swing and many more types of fresh and dynamic music open to all the public. Followed by the ‘Concierto de Ressonadors’ who cover many ibicenco tracks, making them their own and playing popular music from Ibiza and Formentera.
- 2am – End of the fiesta and fireworks