Gavin Roberton, 28, from East Ayrshire, who has been fighting for his life after an ATM attack put him in a coma, is recovering.

The electrician, who was due to fly home seven hours after the attack on the 28th August, suffered a fractured skull, bleeding on the brain and was put in a medically induced coma. He has also been fighting a serious lung infection which had developed in the hospital.
His mother Kirsty McMaster and aunt Paula Marshall travelled to Ibiza to be at his bedside.

‘Under Control’

Despite being given the news that the swelling on Gavin’s brain was ‘worse than they thought’, they have revealed it is now “under control”.
Paula said, “I’m happy to say that the swelling on Gavin’s brain is now under control and doctors are happy with his progress over the last few days. We have had a few little blips, with a serious lung infection being the most memorable, it gave us quite a scare, but he is recovering from this slowly but surely”.
“Gavin remains in the medically induced coma for now, but doctors hope to start reducing the sedatives soon if all goes well. Kirsty and I are telling him about everyone’s well wishes, support and fundraising. I even learnt some Arsenal football songs to sing to him.”

“He Opened His Eyes”

Another family member, Elaine Scott, wrote on his Facebook fundraising page: ‘On Friday Gavin opened his eyes. Since then he has very slowly been starting to move his arms and legs. He is responding to questions with a nod or shake of his head. We tested him out by asking if he wanted us to sing to him, no surprise when he shook his head’.


Local businesses in Scotland have joined in the fundraising efforts to get Gavin home with a bakers releasing a limited edition ‘Bring Gav Home’ biscuit with every penny going to the campaign. Local fundraisers have also been held and the Facebook campaign has almost reached £40,000.

Gavin travelled without medical insurance and the cost of treatment and care he  is undergoing will amount to thousands.