Charlton Footballer Accused of Rape in Ibiza Allowed to Return to UK

  • Judge lifts travel ban on Charlton Football Club player and his friend after watching videos on the mobile phones of the accused men.

Charlton Football Club footballer Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, accused of raping a 19-year-old English tourist in Cala de Bou, has already recovered his passport, according to The Sun newspaper. The player returned to the United Kingdom yesterday after his travel ban was lifted.

The Charlton player, Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, 20, was arrested on June 12 for alleged sexual assault, along with two friends. The striker was warned that he could be detained in Spain for several months.

Judge Agrees to Watch Videos

Reeco Hackett-Fairchild flew to London yesterday after his lawyer obtained an order lifting the travel ban. The investigating judge accepted a request to watch videos recorded on his cell phones and those of his Charlton colleague Karlan Ahearne-Grant.

Hackett-Fairchild’s lawyer, Jaime Campaner, told the judge he was confident the videos would undermine the alleged victim’s claim that she had been raped and show that she had consensual sex with two of the three men under investigation.

ADVERTISEMENT

The investigating judge Carmen Martin Montero ruled that Hackett-Fairchild could leave Ibiza the same day she watched the videos alongside defence lawyers and state prosecutors, according to the British newspaper.

The footballer, who has always insisted that he is innocent, received his passport yesterday at noon. The player is still under investigation and must report in person to the Spanish Embassy in London twice a month as part of his new bail conditions.

The Court of Instruction No. 3 of Ibiza is still waiting for the forensic evidence to be presented, says The Sun, which publishes that “the forensic doctor who examined the alleged victim of rape has already made it clear that he did not find any signs of injury.”, a statement that is at odds with the initial police reports issued at the time of the arrest.

His friend Olusola Odejayi, a 26-year-old Briton who also had his passport taken away, has also had his travel ban lifted.

The third man arrested, Ahearne-Grant, is being investigated on suspicion of a privacy offense for the recording of a mobile phone he made, but it does not constitute a sex crime in Spanish Law.

According to The Sun, ‘judicial sources’ said that the two men who had the travel ban lifted were no longer considered a flight risk due to factors including the newly presented phone videos.