- Ibiza Town/Figueretas to August 15th
- Claire B
The annual Festes de la Terra (Fiestas de la Tierra or Earth Festival) that takes place within Ibiza Town and the Figueretas runs until August 15.
The celebrations combine the festivities in honour of Ibiza Town’s patron saints Santa María and Sant Ciriac ,and the neighbourhood fiesta in Figueretas, the beach resort just to the South of the city.
The programme features a diverse programme of free cultural events, concerts, sports events, fireworks, activities for all ages and traditional festivities.
August 5—Santa Maria
Patron Saint’s day of Nuestra Señora de las Nieves (Our Lady of the Snows) – the patron saint of the cathedral in Ibiza Town.
There will be a mass in the cathedral at 7pm with the City of Ibiza Choir and a free concert from Antonio Orozco in the Parque Reina Sofia at 10.30pm.
August 8—Sant Ciriac
This is the most important holiday and fiesta in Ibiza. August 8 is the Saints Day for Sant Ciriac, but it has another significance for the islanders, as it was also on this day in 1235 that the Catalan army overthrew the Moors, bringing Christianity to Ibiza and Formentera.
In the evening at 6.30pm there’s a procession from Vara de Rey to Puig des Molins, which is the location where the Catalan army landed on the island. There is a communal paella (berenada), and the festivities culminate with a huge fireworks display at midnight, launched from the sea wall in the port. This is usually the biggest fireworks extravaganza on the island each year. August 8 is a public holiday across the island.
August 9-15—Figueretas Fiesta
It’s also the fiesta for the neighbourhood of Figueretas from August 9-15. There are activities and concerts in the evenings on the promenade and a firework display on August 15 at midnight.
- August 5: Mass in the cathedral with the City of Ibiza Choir at 7pm.
- August 5: Concert from Antonio Orozco. Parque Reina Sofía. 10.30pm. Free.
- August 7: Live music from local bands Quin Delibat and Projecte Mut. Parque Reina Sofía. 9pm. Free.
- August 8: Performance in the Plaza de la Catedral for Sant Ciriac with the Symphonic Orchestra of Ibiza. 10.30am.
- August 8: Procession from Vara de Rey to Puig des Molins at 6.30pm for the traditional communal paella (berenada). Free.
- August 8: Fireworks display at midnight in Ibiza Town from the sea wall in the port.
- August 15: Concert from local band Bluesmafia I Es Saligardos in Figueretas. 9.30pm.
- August 15: Fireworks in Figueretas on the beach at midnight.
The full programme is online in Catalan and Spanish and includes some fantastic old photographs taken in and around Ibiza Town: https://bit.ly/2LndVMV