It is a firm favourite beach activity for kiddies worldwide. Bury Mum, Dad, or any willing adult in their own sand tomb leaving them ‘completely immobilized’ to delighted laughs as said victim struggles to escape their beach bonds. Best performed to maximum effect to a snoozing and unsuspecting Dad or Granddad.

The willingness of relatives to participate may take something of a tumble following the viral facebook post by Kelli Mulhollen Dumas, the mother of a young man in Miami who suffered a severe parasitical infestation as a result on his beach burial.

The teenage victim’smother initially thought the developing rash to be a consequence of heat or mosquito bites, however it worsened and she took him to hospital.

[ advertisement ]
Next Time Your Children Want To Bury You On The Beach ....

There it was discovered to be a disease of the skin caused by the migrant cutaneous larva, a larvae of a type of hookworm, according to the Centers for Control and Prevention of Diseases. “I can not express how traumatic it is for a teenager – and his mother – to know that there are worms living in the body,” A spokesperson said in an interview with The Washington Post.

The infection that the boy contracted spreads through the feces of animals or humans and will require a long treatment. The underlying problem being that the insects do not just bite, but also lay eggs inside the body which hatch live insects under the skin over a period of time and requiring surgical operations to remove them.

[ advertisement ]
Next Time Your Children Want To Bury You On The Beach ....

Our view? Well it is the first time we have ever heard of this, so the odds seem way too low to let it spoil our beach fun, though we are perhaps now a little more understanding of why dogs are not allowed on most beaches.