cala de bou fire
the boat that was the source of the fire

A fire in the underground parking of a Cala de Bou residential apartment building left six people injured. One man was seriously hurt, admitted to Can Misses ICU with first degree burns.

The source of the fire was a boat being stored in the car park. A resident of the building says the fire was an accident waiting to happen, and that he had repeatedly warned building managers that the boat was a fire risk and could easily ignite at any time.

Phil Knock has been a resident of the Pinet Playa apartment building for several years. He told us, “I reported (the boat) to the building management in early October because of the stink of petrol. Today it went up in flames as it was always liable to do. The smoke damage in the building is unreal. Needless to say i am very angry. People could have been killed here.”

[ advertisement ]

One man was left in a very serious condition. Phil told us that the boat had “exploded in his face”. The man was taken to Can Misses with 1st and 2nd degree burns and is in the Intensive care Unit with his status reported this morning as ‘serious’.

Firefighters

When the firefighters arrived at the scene of the fire they were informed that there were two people inside the parking lot, which they were able to evacuate by a side staircase.

The Health Area of ​​Ibiza and Formentera reported today that six people were treated by the 061 service. Two of them were treated on site and four others had to be transferred to Can Misses hospital between 9:45 pm and 10:30 pm .

[ advertisement ]

Of these four victims, three men were admitted due to smoke intoxication (two Argentines aged 61 and 28 and a Spaniard of 38) who have already been discharged.

Evacuation

200 people were evacuated as a precaution, and allowed to return to their homes later last night, once the fire was extinguished and Firefighters were satisfied the building had been adequately ventilated.

Phil Knock has given evidence to the Guardia Civil who told him it is considered an ongoing case.

The photos below were supplied by Phil Knock. Note the soot around the service hatches inside the apartment building – it seems clear that the fire could easily have been a whole lot worse.