A convicted sex offender, who has been wanted by Surrey Police since 2012, has been arrested in Ibiza.

60-year old Arik Amir wad found guilty of five counts of sexual assault on a girl under the age of 18 in Leatherhead seven years ago, as reported by local Eagle Radio News. 

Amir left Britain for Tel Aviv in Israel in July 2012, just before he was sentenced to 54 months in prison and given an indefinite Sexual Offence Prevention Order.

An attempt to try and extradite Amir from Israel at the time of the sentencing in 2012 was unsuccessful.

But details have now been released of a police action that has put on the run Arik back in British custody.

On 20th August Surrey Police’s High Harm Perpetrator Unit were alerted to the fact that Amir had travelled into Spain.

Following further investigation, the team discovered that he would be leaving Spain on Thursday, 22 August, giving them a tight deadline, just 2 days to organise his arrest.

However, the Crown Prosecution Service were able to obtain a European Arrest Warrant in time and Amir was arrested with literally minutes to spare. Police apprehended him whilst preparing to board a flight from Ibiza back to Israel, just over four hours after the European Arrest Warrant was granted in the UK.

Eagle news quoted Detective Sergeant Hilary Squire from Surrey Police’s High Harm Perpetrator Unit, who said:

“Amir’s arrest abroad is a shining example of collaborative police work.

“The team has had Amir on our records since his conviction and never forgotten about him, hoping for the opportunity to bring him to justice. This is such a great result and it’s hugely pleasing that justice can now be served.

“I would like to commend the hard work of the individuals from Surrey Police, CPS and the NCA who worked together to secure his arrest in a very short timescale.”

Acting Senior District Crown Prosecutor Libby Clark, from the CPS said:

“As soon as Surrey Police got in touch with us, we knew we had to act immediately as we only had the one opportunity.

“We drafted the warrant and by drawing on our contacts from other organisations, we were able to get fast tracked, so that we could seize the chance to bring Amir to justice.”