Exploring Ibiza on Foot & Bike
- Claire B
The winter and spring months are perfect for exploring the island, whilst the tourists are away, the pace of life is slower and more relaxed and the island comes alive with almond blossom and wild flowers. There are a number of groups and initiatives that organise guided walks and cycling tours should you not want to go off exploring on your own, plus they’re a great way to meet new and like-minded people.
Regular guided walks are currently taking place from Walking Ibiza each Wednesday, Friday and now also on Sunday. Plus this month there are special full moon/almond blossom and Valentine’s day walks. Toby and Sheila have been busy seeking out new walks which are being offered from February.
- Tuesday 14 – Valentines walk – 10am – Cala Salada, with romantic bubbles and picnic. €30 – reservations are required.
- Wednesday 15 – New Short & Sweet walk – 10am – Can Sulyetas – San Miguel – a new walk with countryside, almond blossom and great views. Tea and cakes will be served at the end.
- Friday 17 – New Classic walk – 10am – Capelleta d’en Serra – San Josep. A new walk with stunning views to an old chapel.
- Sunday 19 – Sunday social walk – 11am – Cala St Vicente – countryside and beach to the cave of Tanit.
- Wednesday 22 – Short & Sweet walk – 10am – Sheila’s big birthday walk – Dolphin lookout – San Mateu with amazing views. Tea and cakes will be served at the end.
- Friday 24 – New Classic walk – 10am – location to be announced.
- Sunday 26 – Sunday social walk – 11am – Sa Talaia – the highest point of Ibiza.
The walks are by donation (suggested €10 per person) or what you feel the walk is worth.
The Sports Department of Eivissa are also organising their annual walking and cycling program until May.
- 12/02 Sant Eivissa – Es Fornàs – Sant Rafel – Puig d’en Valls – Eivissa. 22 km with a climb of 473 metres. Easy, apart from one climb.
- 12/03 Sa Capella D’en Serra. Eivissa – Sa Carroca – Torrent de sa Capella – Capella d’en Serra – Sa Carroca – Eivissa. 23 km with a climb of 475 metres. Level – medium.
- 16/04 Peu de sa Talaia. Eivissa – Sa Carroca – Mitja Capella – Camp de futbol de Sant Josep – Can Jordi – Sa Carroca –
- 30 km with a climb of 475 metres. Level – medium.
- Formentera (in 2 stages) – date to be confirmed. Stage1: Port de la Savina – Migjorn – Cala Saona – Illetes – Es Pujols. Stage 2: Es Pujols – La Mola – Port de la Savina.
They leave from Plaça d’Antoni Albert i Nieto (Bulevard d’Abel Matutes at 10.00 h returning about 13.00 h. Cost is 3€ (5€ on the day except for the tour in Formentera). Tours are restricted to 100 participants (50 for Formentera) so it’s best to book in advance. Tickets can be bought from the Piscines Municipals in Es Viver and Can Misses, and from Can Manolo Bikes.
- 19/02 Botafoc to Roca LLisa. Starts from the car park at the Estació Marítima Botafoc at 9.30 h. Estació Marítima Botafoc – Talamanca – S’Estanyol – Roca Llisa. 9 km. Medium/difficult.
- 11/03 Parc de Bombers to Can Misses full moon walk. Starts from the Piscina Municipal in Can Misses at 21.00 h. Parc de Bombers – Torrent des Fornàs – Can Canyes – Can Bufí – Can Misses. 11.5 km. Low/medium difficulty.
- 30/04 Torre Sal Rossa to Sa Caleta. Starts from the car park at the Hotel Palladium (Platja d’en Bossa) at 9:30 h. Platja d’en Bossa – Parc Natural Ses Salines – Es Codolar – Sa Caleta. 8.5 km. Low/medium difficulty.
- Formentera (in 2 stages) – date to be confirmed. Stage 1: Far de la Mola – Es Caló – Punta Prima – Es Pujols. Stage 2: Cala Saona – Estanc des Peix – La Savina. Limited to 50 participants.
Cost is 3€ in advance or 5€ on the day. Tickets and information from:
Piscina municipal de Can Misses, Monday to Friday from 9.00 h – 21.00 h. Tel. 971 31 35 64
Piscina municipal Es Viver, Monday to Friday from 9.00 h – 21.00 h. and Saturday from 9.00 h – 13.00. Tel. 971 30 32 34